By Yoel Molina, Esq.
Office: 305-548-5020 2655 S. Lejuene Road, Suite 500 Coral Gables, FL 33134
As a corporate attorney in Miami, Florida, I've assisted numerous foreign companies and individuals in initiating and operating businesses in the United States. One of the most crucial areas requiring guidance is U.S. corporate law. If you're a foreign company or individual planning to start a business in the United States, here are 10 things you should know about U.S. corporate law:
- Types of Corporate Entities: Businesses can be formed as corporations, limited liability companies (LLCs), limited partnerships, and limited liability partnerships, each with distinct benefits and legal obligations.
- Incorporation: To establish a corporation in the United States, a company must file articles of incorporation in the state where it intends to operate.
- Shareholders: Corporations have shareholders who own shares in the company and have voting rights and a share in profits.
- Directors and Officers: Corporations have a board of directors overseeing company management and an executive team handling day-to-day operations.
- Bylaws: Corporations are required to have bylaws outlining rules and norms for company management.
- Disclosure Obligations: Corporations must file financial reports and other disclosures with regulatory authorities, including the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
- Liability: Corporations and their directors and officers can be held liable for securities law violations, fraud, and other illegal actions.
- Mergers and Acquisitions: Companies can merge or acquire other firms to expand operations and acquire assets.
- Minority Shareholders' Rights: Minority shareholders possess legal rights to protect their interests and prevent abuse of power by majority shareholders.
- Dissolution: Companies can dissolve voluntarily or be dissolved by regulatory authorities for non-compliance with laws and regulations.
If you need guidance on U.S. corporate law, I am here to assist you. As a corporate attorney in Miami, Florida, I possess the experience and knowledge to navigate the complexities of U.S. corporate law. My firm holds an excellent rating on AVVO and a 5-star rating on Google, showcasing my commitment to delivering exceptional legal service to my clients.
If you're interested in learning more about how I can assist you with your business legal needs in the United States, I invite you to schedule a consultation with me today.