Furthermore, even if you know you did the crime, the penalties for a DUI are so severe that you should still hire an experienced Miami DUI Trial Attorney to evaluate and find the best outcome for your case. Remember, even if you committed a crime, it is within your rights to seek legal counsel and representation to fight your case for you.
If you just got arrested for a DUI for the first time you are likely beating yourself up, feeling like a terrible person and worried that this will follow you around as some social stigma at every job and group of friends you have in the future. This is simply not the case. You may have made a mistake, but that doesn’t mean you are a hardened criminal or an awful person. Just so you know, lots of great, hard-working, and honest people have made this mistake. There is no reason to let it change your outlook on your plans. All you need is a little help from a qualified and experienced DUI trial attorney in the Miami area like myself.
10 Days to Request a Hearing
First things first, make a call to your attorney immediately. Don’t wait. You have only 10 days to both:
1) File to dispute the criminal charges against you in a court of law
2) File to appeal the suspension of your license with the DMV
In both cases, your best options will be revealed to you by your attorney. Sit down and talk over with them how they want to go about requesting the hearing and what evidence will be needed to prepare your defense. If you wait too long, it may be impossible for an attorney go get everything filed before the deadline – get in touch with them as soon as you possible after your arrest.
You Need an Experienced Miami DUI Trial Attorney
Remember what’s at stake when you are charged with a DUI in the state of Florida:
- Possible suspension of license up to a year+
- Possible Jail time of up to a year
- Possible Fines of thousands of dollars
- Possible driving classes
This is what is on the line. This is too serious to leave up to chance. You need a qualified and experience DUI trial attorney who will take the time to evaluate your case to identify the aspects that can be argued in a court-of-law. A good attorney will prepare for your case and fight the charges against you to get them dismissed or reduced and will help you do everything you need to in order to try to avoid your license being suspended by the DMV as well. There is too much legal information and specifics about the Miami court system that defendants just don’t know to protect themselves against the vigorous prosecution the DA prepares for DUI cases in Miami. If you need representation, call our law offices now.
Steps You Can Take Before & After Your DUI Arrest
As you are well aware, the punishment is too severe to even think about risking a DUI. Here are some great steps to help you avoid DUIs in the future and to help you respond in the best possible manner in the event you are pulled over and investigated for a DUI:
- Simply put the best way to avoid a DUI is to never drive while impaired.
- Remember and follow your Miranda rights
- Don’t offer any evidence that can be used against you. This means don’t participate in road-side tests. (These are voluntary, politely refuse)
- Stay silent when the police are investigating you – don’t give them evidence of slurred speech if you can help it.
- Opt for the chemical test you can take after an arrest over a breathalyzer.
- Hire an experienced and successful DUI trial attorney in Miami.
- Make sure to request a hearing as soon as you can after your arrest as well as appeal your license suspension with the DMV.
Still have questions?
Please call us for a free appointment with Miami business attorney Yoel Molina in our Miami office at 305-548-5020.